Saturday, June 18, 2011

Should You See The Movie Super 8?


So should you see Super 8 ? What did I think of Super 8?  Hmm... Let me rename this movie, SUPER AIN'T!  Okay, it wasn't that bad.  Actually it was not bad at all.  It kind of reminded of the 1985 film The Goonies. Remember that one?  Well, The Goonies screenplay was written by Chris Columbus and no I'm not talking about the guy who historians claim discovered America.  Chris Columbus is a mega Hollywood producer and director.  Some of his credits are; Reckless, Gremlins, The Goonies, Home Alone 1 and 2, Mrs. Doubtfire, Stepmom, Bicentennial Man, Harry Potter, Fantastic Four, Rent, and Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightening Thief. The Goonies screenplay was pulled from a story by executive producer Steven Spielberg.  That's why Super 8 reminded me of The Goonies.

The main actors are those kids you see in the picture above.  Now I must admit that these kids did some good acting, I must give them that.  Each character was distinctive and memorable.  That guy to the far left was hilarious!  He did a CURSE OUT! And the girl in the picture is non other than actress Dakota Fanning's sister, Elle Fanning.  Elle showed that acting does run in their family.  In the movie these kids have a love for movies.  They are actually making a movie within this movie.  The kid to the far left loves being the director and he's very passionate about the movie they're making.  The kid behind the camera is actually the main character.  So these kids are going along making their movie and they find themselves witnesses to a horrible train wreck!  And then the story goes from there.  This movie is an alien flick.  This big huge predator type skyscraper tall alien is trying to take over their town.  And of course kids being kids, they want to find out why the alien is there and so on. A lot happens after the train wreck but I don't want to give it all away.

This movie has very good special effects, great acting, but the storyline lacked substance to me.  I found myself saying, "Oh my gosh! Just leave the town and the alien alone! Y'all are kids, go sit down somewhere!"   There was this one part where there was a mushy moment between the alien and one of the kids.  I was like, are you kidding me!  Super 8 did keep my attention for the most part.  My friend who accompanied me drifted off to sleep once or twice.  I took a power nap before I went, good thing.  I give Super 8 a 7 out of 10.  That 7 is because of the wonderful young actors in the movie.

D. Martez

No comments:

Post a Comment